Street Cart Onions
The secret ingredient to making a truly authentic street cart hot dog is the flavorful onions. It's a great way to elevate the average summer hot dog into an experience! This onion topping can be prepared a day ahead of time and refrigerated. Just allow time to let the toppings come to room temperature before serving for the best flavor.
2 large onions (about 2 lbs)
½ tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ancho chili powder
½ C ketchup
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Hot sauce to taste
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed
- Peel and trim the onions, then cut in half through the root and slice into thin slices (you should have about 1 ½ lbs).
- Heat about 2 Tbsp of canola oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the onions.
- Sauté until the onions are translucent and just beginning to brown, about 5–6 minutes.
- Add ½ tsp kosher salt, the ancho chili powder, smoked paprika and about ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes to bloom the flavor of the spices.
- Add the ketchup and 1 ¼ C water, stir to combine and then reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
- Cook for 25–30 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the onions are jammy.
- Stir in the vinegar and as much hot sauce as you like—start with about ½ tsp, taste and adjust from there.